Juniors (Kids) Tennis Lessons in Mountlake Terrace
- Junior Lesson FAQs
- Coached Match Play
- Yellow Ball
- Yellow Ball Advanced
- Green Ball
- Orange Ball
- Red Ball
- High School Live Ball
Closed-toed athletic shoes are recommended for playing on court, but we emphasize that any sandals or open-toed shoes are not allowed on court due to safety reasons.
We do have a few tennis rackets you can borrow, but we recommend buying one if you plan on playing tennis regularly.
Jeans are not allowed, but any other clothes are allowed as long as you can move freely and feel comfortable running around and sweating a bit.
Hydration is vital for any exercise or sport that is physically demanding. So a water bottle or athletic drinks are allowed on court, but nothing outside of the necessities (no energy drinks, soda, juice, or foods).
There is no substitute for match play
Coaches provide positioning and tactical coaching while players are competing in set play
Matches are singles or doubles depending on registration
We arrange the best possible matches to ensure close matches
We create special in match rules to challenge players, special rules may include tactics to use or specific targets to hit
Yellow Ball Classes
Ages 12 – 18
Court Size 78′
- This program uses the traditional yellow tennis ball and full court size, in comparison to our other junior programs. All beginner and intermediate players are welcome to sign up, and will be split into separate groups by skill level after everyone gets on court.
- Beginners: Players will learn basic footwork, tennis strokes, and court positioning in this program, to help build the fundamentals and confidence in the players. Coaches will throw tennis balls towards the players as a feeding drill to help them gain familiarity with their ground strokes.
- Intermediate: Players will start playing more drills and games to help improve their footwork and adaptability to different situations in live-ball play. Coaches will also give critiques to help improve their accuracy and technique.
Yellow Ball Advanced
Ages 14 – 18
- This program uses the traditional yellow tennis ball and full court size, in comparison to our other junior programs. High school players on a team, or aspiring to be, with the fundamentals mastered, are encouraged to join Yellow Ball Advanced.
- For players who want to hone their ability to aim their shots at specific targets and learn how to keep a consistent rally. This is a class for players aiming to play in competitive matches or tournaments on the high school level. Coaches will also focus on different tactics and strategies in each class to diversify the players’ knowledge.
Green Ball Classes
Ages 7 – 11 (Intermediate)
Court Size 78′
- This program uses green tennis balls, which bounce 75% the height and speed of the traditional yellow ball and the courts are 78 feet long (playable range).
- For players who want to hone their ability to aim their shots at specific targets and learn how to keep a consistent rally. This is a class for players aiming to play in competitive matches or tournaments. Green Ball is the step up from Orange Ball, once the players have mastered the fundamentals.
Orange Ball Classes
Ages 7 – 11 (Beginner to Intermediate)
Court Size 60′
Racket 21″ – 23″
- This program uses orange tennis balls, which bounce 50% the height and speed of the traditional yellow ball and the courts are 60 feet long (playable range).
- Players will start building fundamental skills like coordination, foot placement, and basic stroke structure. Players will also learn playing in a live ball environment with coaches feeding balls as well as other exercises and activities.
Red Ball Classes
Ages 4 – 7
Court Size 36′
Racket 17″ – 19″
- This program uses red tennis balls, which bounce 25% the height and speed of the traditional yellow ball, and the courts are 36 feet long (playable range).
- Coaches will focus on exercises and activities that help build players’ coordination, strength, and dexterity. A few examples of these exercises are throwing and catching with a partner, hitting ground strokes, guiding the ball activities and more.
High School Live Ball
Ages 14 – 18
Court Size 78′
- This program focuses on live point plays in doubles teams, improving rallying, teamwork skills, and learning how to play against different opponents. This program is ideal for high school players who want to play in live-ball situations, aren’t entirely confident in playing in a match, or just looking for some fun rallying with others.
- If you’re unfamiliar with live ball, this are how the game works:
- Setup: Coaches will divide the players and choose two “champions” of the court, which will stay on the feeding side of the court. The rest of the “opponents” will stay on the other side of the net, forming a line at the back wall. The first two players in line will position themselves in default doubles positioning. Rotations will happen throughout the game, with the “opponents” team. Net players going to the back of the line, baseline players going to the net, and the first players in line going to the baseline.
- Playing: The players at the baseline will hit a groundstroke from the coach. Players on court will then play out the point. If the “opponents” win the point, then the coach will feed the next shot to the players at the net for a volley. Finally, the last ball from the coach will be for the players at the baseline for an overhead shot. After 3 consecutive points, the “opponents” on court will become the new “champions” and the old champions will go to the back of the line, and the new “opponents” will be the two players in the front of the line. If the “champions” win any point, the “opponents” will rotate.
basic tennis strokes.
High Performance Youth Tennis Lessons
Junior High Performance
Ages 9 – 12 (Advanced – Coach Approval Required)
Yellow Ball High Performance clinics are designed for young players who are currently competing in USTA tournaments.
This program is designed for players who are looking to play more in a competitive setting, to recognize and utilize tactics and formations in singles or doubles match play. Coaches will make sure that players strengthen their weak areas to help improve overall play. JR High Performance is the step up from Green Ball, once the players can consistently rally and have solid footwork skills.
Green Ball High Performance Classes
Ages 7 – 10 (Advanced – Coach Approval Required)
Green Ball High Performance clinics are designed for young players who are currently competing in USTA tournaments.
In this clinic, students learn singles pattern development as well as doubles tactics development.
The use of green balls encourages explosive footwork and early racquet preparation.
Participants adhere to a tournament schedule developed in coordination with the coaching staff.
Coaches attend students’ tournaments to provide real-time analysis and feedback to help each player progress.
About Basha Tennis
Our goal is to help you become the kind of tennis player you want to be. We want to know what your specific tennis goals are and how we can best help you accomplish them.
Our Coaching Philosophy
Tennis is highly complex and demanding, requiring its athletes to bring an elite level of athleticism, intelligence, fitness, and mental discipline in order to be competitive at the upper echelons of the sport.
It is our goal to inspire an ethic of hard work and intensity and a passion for the sport, within which we intentionally guide each player to develop an understanding of how to capitalize on their unique strengths while also edifying their weaknesses.
We teach our players how to analyze a situation and select correct strategic choices, as well as how to execute under pressure.
As strategy, technical ability, mental toughness, and fitness all go hand in hand, we plan to incorporate a blend of drilling, situational point play, and supervised set and tournament play to develop versatile players that can withstand the rigors of competition.
It is here that we equip our players with the physical and mental tools necessary to handle the adversity they face every time they step out onto the court.
Key Components of Our High Performance Program
Player / Coach Ratio
If we cancel a session for any reason, we provide a make-up.
Video: The Basha Tennis Instructional Process
See What Students & Parents Are Saying
Josh is one of the best tennis coaches I've ever trained with. Rarely can a coach train students with a combination of drive, patience and kindness and Josh has perfected this.
My two children have been taking lessons with Basha at Forrest Crest for six months and recently shared that they learn a lot more and have more fun here than at the “other” tennis center.
This tennis facility is simply the best. Be warned, there are no frills here. The courts are not heated so they are chilly. Change rooms are simple and plain. It’s all about the tennis here.
Location & Hours
Interested in learning more about our youth, adult, group, private tennis programs, or stringing services? If so, send us a message and we'll respond as soon as we can.
Get the App & Book Your Court Anywhere!
“Tennis is a perfect combination of violent action taking place in an atmosphere of total tranquility.”
– Billie Jean King